Open Records

Contact Information

You may make your request:

For complaints regarding failure to release public information please contact your local District or County Attorney.

You may also contact the office of the Attorney General, Open Records Hotline, at 512-478-6736 or toll fee at 1-877- 673-6839.

For complaints regarding overcharges, please contact the General Services Commission at 512-475-2497.

If you need special accommodation pursuant to the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), please contact our City Clerk, Dianna McLean, at 512-352-3676.

Procedures to Obtain Information

  • Submit a request (electronically, by mail, email or in person) according to a governmental body's reasonable procedures.
  • Include enough description and detail about the information requested to enable the governmental body to accurately identify and locate the items requested.
  • Cooperate with the governmental body's reasonable efforts to clarify the type or amount of information requested.

Information to be released

  • You may review it promptly, and if it cannot be produced within 10 working days the public information officer will notify you in writing of the reasonable date and time when it will be available.
  • Keep appointments to inspect records or pick up copies or risk losing the opportunity to see the information.

Cost of Records

  • You must respond to any written estimate of charges within 10 days of the date the governmental body sent it or the request may be deemed withdrawn.
  • If estimated costs exceed $100 (or $50 if a governmental body has fewer than 16 full time employees) the governmental body may require a bond, prepayment or deposit.
  • You may ask the governmental body to determine whether providing the information primarily benefits the general public, resulting in a waiver or reduction of charges.

Information that may be withheld due to an exception

By the 10th business day after you file your request, a governmental body must:
  • Request an Attorney General opinion and state which exceptions apply;
  • Notify the requester of the referral to the Attorney General; and
  • Notify third parties if the request involves their proprietary information.

Failure to request an AG opinion and notify the requester within 10 business days will result in a presumption that the information is open unless there is a compelling reason to withhold it.

Requesters may send a letter to the Attorney General arguing for release, and may review arguments made by the governmental body.

Open Records Rights and Responsibilities